Here is a budget recipe for Beef and Lentil Stew that I came up with last night. I was not feeling the best, and it was really chilly outside. I wanted something to warm me up. This dish turned out much better than I would have hoped. It was so yummy!
|Beef & Lentil Stew||
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 pounds beef cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3 carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 6 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
- 10 cups beef broth
- 2 pints tomatoes (if you use homemade.) or 2 28 oz. cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups lentils
- Melt oil and butter in a large soup pot.
- Season the beef with salt and pepper.
- Brown the beef and cook through.
- Remove the beef from the pot and set aside.
- Add the carrots and onions to the pot and saute until onions are softened.
- Add the garlic, parsley, oregano, garlic and rosemary and cook for 2 minutes.
- Return the beef to the pot.
- Add the broth lentils and tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, simmer and cook for one and a half hours.
- I sometimes cook lentils even longer and allow the lentils to thicken the stew and break down some.
More budget recipes
May contain affiliate links