Here is a list of ways that we work on fine motor skills with our preschoolers. As you can see, these are just through activities that our kids would be doing on a regular basis anyway.
Fine Motor Skills
- Plan at least one fine motor development per day. You can use toys and other manipulatives.
- Use play dough to make shapes, letters, and holiday items
- Use scissors to cut lines, shapes and just cutting
- Practice with writing utensils. Use markers, pencils, pens and crayons. Be sure they are holding them correctly.
- Play with Legos at least once a week.
- Use blocks and small cars
- Lacing cards.
- Threading large beads.
- Sorting small objects. This can be done with cars or doll parts. Anything to develop fine motor skills.
- For boys, driving cars and trains on tracks…..for girls sorting, pouring, separating and lacing.
- Scooping rice with spoons and placing in a container.
- Working with pop beads or connecting beads
For more homeschooling ideas, click here.