I love getting in the kitchen & coming up with new budget recipes. My kids really wanted muffins for Labor Day last week. They helped me make four different kinds. My eldest three children love to cook just as much as I do! My husband’s favorite muffins are blueberry muffins. We decided to make them with a twist by adding lemon to them. If you prefer plain blueberry muffins, you can just leave out the lemon juice & lemon zest. We loved the addition though! I usually use whole wheat flour in my muffins. They are slightly denser, but we still enjoy them. I wrote out the recipe with all purpose flour, but you can easily substitute with whole wheat flour. I used the blueberries that we have frozen from our summer organic garden! Yummy!
|Budget Recipes: Lemon Blueberry Muffins||
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose floud
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup softened butter
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla
- juice of half a lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- lemon zest, 1/4 lemon
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Preheat the over to 400 degrees.
- Combine all dry ingredients for the muffins (flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, nutmet).
- Beat butter, egg, milk, lemon, lemon zest and vanilla.
- Slowly add in dry ingredients and mix.
- Dust the blueberries in a little bit of flour, then fold them into the batter.
- Fill the muffin tins almost to the top.
- Mix all topping ingredients with a fork.
- Top the muffin batter with the topping mixture.
- Bake 20-25 minutes.
More budget recipes
May contain affiliate links